Wednesday, February 11, 2009

As I reread Benito Cereno, Melville's intense descriptions seemed less complicated than before. The odd scenarios that seemed somewhat suspicious at first, were so obvious the second go around. It deepened my dislike for Delano's character. He is extremely naive to what is going on and although he finds some things to be out of the ordinary he brushes them off. I started to feel more sympathy towards Cereno and noticed the numerous faint incidents and the times they occurred were quite critical to the text. Babo had complete control over him and it was sad to see how helpless Cereno is. I feel as though Melville represents the slaves on the ship as more animalistic than necessary. He gives a rather negative conitation on the view of the slaves. Instead of emphasizing the intelligence of Babo and his underlying schemes, Melville makes him appear brutal and violent without means. However, the second go around I was just as impressed with Melville's ability to capture a scene so realistically and so brillantly. He wrote in a style in which I have never read before, and the challenges he gives are worth it. I am glad we read the novella another time because it certainly helps to capture smaller details not noticed before. For instance, I didn't pick up on how suspicious the cook Fransesco was when he prepared a meal for Cereno and Delano. Overall I really enjoyed this text and wouldn't mind reading some of Melville's stuff again!

2 comments:

  1. Rereading this novella also made me more aware of the characters, especially Delano. The first time, I related with him and felt like him changing his mind constantly about what was going on was what I would be doing. However, the second time, I think that he is just a fool. I felt like what was going on on the ship was obvious, or at least it may have crossed his mind in his various assumptions of what was going on. In addition to being more aware of Delano's characterization, I also saw Babo differently the second time. Even when it seemed like he was being obedient, I realized that Melville put in little clues that he was actually in control. For example, Babo would answer for Benito Cereno when Delano would ask a question that could give away what was happening on the ship. Also, the shaving scene was even more poignant to me and clearly showed that Babo was evil and that Cereno was terrified of him because Babo was in control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely! I remember last year reading and getting swamped by Melville's language and descriptions. They were so dense that it really distracted me from the skeleton of the plot. Then getting to reread this (for a second, and now third time) the descriptions become less and less distracting until the story line is right there. The more i read this story, the more i sympathize with characters (except Delano... never Delano). It seems that everyone in the story was a victim of circumstances. Babo behaved in a way that was completely reasonable for what he had been through and Cereno acted in a way that was appropriate for his circumstances. I think as demonstrated in the debate yesterday, we cannot accuse anyone of being exclusively good or bad; so this story was definitely reading multiple times so that everyone could get to this point.

    ReplyDelete