Thursday, February 5, 2009

I agree, great book!

I must say I agree with the majority of the post comments. “Benito Cereno” was quite an enjoyable read. Though it may have read a little slow at the beginning, the pace picked up and became easier to read as I continued to progress through the novella.
In regards to Leah’s post about Captain Delano, my opinion of him changed as I read. At first, I enjoyed his character and found him entertaining, like Leah did. However, in the second part of the story, I became frustrated with his naïve and ignorant behavior. It also bothered me that he was “placed upon a pedestal” as Alexis Rabin commented in class because he didn’t really deserve that title. After all, Delano just happened to stumble across the ship and would not have saved Cereno’s life had it not been for Cereno’s leap of faith.
Several people also posted on comparisons between “A Heroic Slave” and “Benito Cereno.” Elizabeth made a great point in class that Babo was a more real and believable character, while Madison Washington was the opposite. In reality, a slave would probably have acted much more like Babo than Washington. In that sense, I appreciate that aspect of “Benito Cereno” more than “A Heroic Slave.”

No comments:

Post a Comment