Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cereno: both good and evil

After reading Benito Cereno for a second time, I became more aware of Melville’s use of double entendre. After the first reading I was very suspicious of Cereno and saw him as a co-conspirator in the mutiny. The constant reference to the young Spanish sailor coupled with Delano’s criticism of Cereno’s status of nobility made me think that Cereno and the slaves overthrew the elite members of the crew. On second reading, however, I was able to see Cereno in a different light. I saw many instances where Melville used double entendre as opportunities for Cereno to drop hints to Delano about the condition of the ship and the mutiny. Because the other Spanish sailors were killed and only Cereno’s testimony was included in the deposition, it’s difficult for me to take a clear stance on the character of Cereno. I think that Melville used devices like litotes and irony so that the characters could be seen in different ways. While I do not think he intended this book as an anti-slavery message, I think he uses slavery and this account of a true story as a vehicle for his opinions on good and evil. It seems that many of the characters, like the negresses, have both good and evil in them, and that depending on the perspective of the reader can be read in either light. I think Melville’s conclusion on good and evil is that, like beauty, it is almost in the eye of the beholder, hence his frequent reference to grey.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that this book was very deliberately ambiguous about characters in terms of good and evil. As mentioned in class, at the beginning of the novella Melville describes looking upon the San Dominick using primarily imagery that is Grey. I think Melville's greatest strength in the novel is not boxing in characters as good or evil. Babo, Delano, and Cereno all undertake actions that can be construed as good or evil. At no point does Melville try to impart which he believes to be morally correct. By leaving judgment of morality up to the reader, Melville is able to force the reader to think critically about the work and examine their own beliefs. The morally ambiguous characters seem to me but one more example of how Melville intended this to be a work critical of slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that the first time that I read the story that I did not view Cereno as a part of the mutiny. I tend to look at these quite literally, thus when I read this story the first time through, I just felt the characters fell into there places. As I read it the second time I played closer attention to how I viewed the characters and tried not to box them into a corner of good or evil. I found that many of the characters could be looked at from different angles (as we discussed in class). I believe now that by doing this, Melville made the story stronger and thus debatable in all aspects.

    ReplyDelete