Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Upon vermilion wheels

I had to read "The name of it is Autumn" several times before coming to any real conclusion about it. It appears that Emily Dickinson was opposed to the Civil War due to its violent nature. She makes this clear with bloody imagery ("scarlet rain," the color "vermilion") and she seems to be calling the battle both an artery and a vein. This also makes me think of beating hearts. At the conclusion of the poem, I get the feeling that Dickinson resents how little the war affects some people. The second to last line, "Then eddies like a rose away," implies that after all the sacrifice and bloodshed, it simply gets washed away and forgotten. The poem's final line reads, "Upon vermilion wheels." I assume that this signifies the death of soldiers, since vermilion is a reddish color which makes us think of blood.
I was looking around on a few websites and found this one: http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/emily_dickinson_journal/v016/16.1barrett.html
which discusses Dickinson's connection to the Civil War. I definitely cannot claim this idea as my own, but I found it interesting that the article mentioned her use of the word Autumn may have been a direct reference to the battle of Antietam. This seems somewhat likely, but it still leaves me wondering why she would replace it with the word Autumn if she intended the poem to be about a particular battle. Perhaps she wanted to emphasize the seasons and how the war spans across them all. Either way, Dickinson obviously felt very strongly about the Civil War and I think her views are evident in "The name of it is Autumn."

No comments:

Post a Comment