Thursday, April 2, 2009

Invisible...Maybe Maybe not

Even though I am not one to follow a crowd, I agree that I really like this book. One of the first things that I noticed when reading the book was the statement made by the protagonist, “I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me,” (3). While it is often incorrect to assume a parallel between the author and the protagonist, especially when the work is written in first person, I wonder if people really choose to ignore “Invisible Man” or if he is invisible by choice.
I was also really intrigued by Ellison’s continual repetition of color. In the prologue, he mentions “What did I do to be so black and blue?” in two different pages. This seems to potentially have a double fold meaning. While he could physically be “black and blue” from different events that he went through in his life, it could also be his way of highlighting Jazz, which was an important aspect of that time period, especially to the African American community.
The fighting scene was really impactful. The men are exploiting both “Invisible Man” and the others that are a part of this act. In that chapter, a reference is made to the circus, which parallels the animalistic characteristics of the fight. It also acknowledges the fact that the mean are being made as a part of a freak show, just to be exploited and made fun of. Because they are chasing after gold coins, I think that it indicates the issue of race as it relates to social class and standing.

2 comments:

  1. I started reading this book for the first time over winter break when I saw on the syllabus we were going to read it. I noticed that my brother had it on his shelf and I picked it up and began. From that point I became engrossed and discovered my new favorite book. I am so excited to read it all over again! I agree with Porshia that we shouldn’t assume that there is a parallel between the author and the protagonist, but it is almost impossible not to see some correlations between the two.
    Throughout the whole section we read, there are indications of identity issues. This is one of the most important themes in the book. First of all, the narrator of the story has no name, nor does he tell us much about who he is. All the characters we meet are reflections of how other people perceive them. For example, Jim Trueblood, tells the truth about what happened, but has fathered a child with a woman of his own blood, his daughter. People the narrator sees are characterized by their occupation or their skin color, yet we know for a fact that the narrator is black, though he does not tell us much else. It is interesting to see that the narrator who tell the reader no name, no origins, only states that he is black. He is here forth defined by his skin color, and cannot see much else. Maybe he is invisible to himself as well as others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that the fighting scene was very powerful, and I have many more questions than insightful thoughts. After reading Gertrude Stein in which every explosive moment was mere social gossip, the rawness of this book has really struck me. The violence was brutal – as I was cringing I was riveted. I was embarrassed and angry that the owners humiliated the fighters that way and angry that the fighters took the bait. I’m still synthesizing my thoughts on the woman in the scene. It could be argued that she is just like the black men – not considered as equally human but as an object of entertainment. However, she holds power as do the black men. Their power comes in being morally innocent – I think – we are less likely to judge the objectified rather than the oppressors. Or perhaps being “the yes man” and allowing others to take advantage of him is a sin. Overall, the whole scene was a manipulation circle that shows the word in humanity. Any other takers on this subject? Why does Ellison include the white woman? What does the white “audience’s” reaction tell us about the human condition other than inherent racism?

    Another scene that particularly disturbs is the Trublood’s description of incest. Why was this included? Why were the white men giving Trublood money? – I feel like if this were realistic they would have hung him by now. The trustee’s riveted interest in Trublood’s story made him seem just like the audience and the stripper from the fight scene.

    Basically, I am confused. If Ellison is writing about what it means to be black, why is there so much that makes the reader dislike the choices the ‘Invisible Man’ and those around him are making?

    ReplyDelete