Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The truth is the light and the light is the truth

This being the first time I will read The Invisible Man, I am thus far extremely pleased with the book. Ellison's diction and writing style are easy to follow, yet lack nothing in substance or meaning. From the start of the prologue I found myself immersed in his story and glad to find the pages turning so quickly. The narrator's description of his struggle to obtain an identity and be recognized as a human being was coherent and refreshing. I felt like his plan to undermine the Monopolated Light&Power company, which I felt represents the whole society that he is being oppressed by, offers evidence to his intelligence and conviction. The narrator's enormous amount of fortitude is displayed later on in the book during his quest for whiskey at the Golden Day. The narrator's behavior at the bar and during some of the other threatening situations he encounters, and his actions against the Monopolated Light&Power company and the blonde man he describes attacking conflict with each other. In one situation, the narrator acts in a way that his grandfather suggests and he keeps his head down and becomes a "yes man." In another he takes direct action against his oppressers. This fight between explicit and implicit action reminds me of the battle between Booker T. Washington and W.E.B Dubois and I look forward to seeing which method is more effective for the narrator and which method he follows.
There were some other interesting aspects I noticed within the novel. I think that Ellison's choice to keep the narrator nameless, and in a sense "invisible" is very clever. It effectively keeps the character from acquiring his own personal identity, and instead highlights the struggles of blacks in general during a time when Jim Crow laws denied blacks basic rights. I thought the names of many of the characters in the book were also interesting in that they contrast so sharply with the nameless narrator. Ras the Destroyer, Trueblood, Rev. Barbee, and Dr. Bledsoe are all very odd names and I wonder if there is a purpose behind some characters having such extreme names while the main character has none at all.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, think that the names in the novel are quite revealing. Um, when I read it in Senior English, my teacher pointed out that the initials of "Invisible Man" (if we are to give him initials) are IM. This can be used as a handy abbreviation but, it also serves as another mechanism with which Ellison drives home one of the narrator's central conflicts: who is he. (IM = I am.) This will become extremely relevant as the text goes on.
    I think that Ellison's symbolism throughout the novel is just dazzling. Every time that I see a symbol I get a little bit excited because I think it is just so clever. But, regarding the other names, I believe Ras, Trueblood and Bledsoe are pretty obvious but, there is actually some significance behind Barbee as well. His first name, Homer, is an allusion to the poet... obviously they are both blind. I can't really remember the other similarities but it's really neat.

    ReplyDelete