Thursday, April 9, 2009

"This is your new name......< >."

So many different terms and vocabulary used in the book have struck me as interesting. Whether it is a vernacular term because of the jazz era and the time period, or as a term of endearment for each other, the word brother stands out to me. In terms of finding oneself and identity, the word brother seems so weird to the narrator at first on page 294. The word Brother implies closeness, and family, while it seems as if the narrator is invisible and has none. In this sense it is different to him to call someone brother. The second idea that struck me during this reading was the idea of identity on page 309. Brother Jack states "This is your new identity", when in fact, it was his first one. It is a bit frustrating to never know the name of the narrator. Even when his name changes, we don't know what it was or what it is now. As a technique in the book, it is important to the plot of the story and overall an artistic theme which relates to the human aspect of the book. Another example of this invisibility was when the narrator was referred to as "an unknown 'rabble rouser'" on page 331. The overall invisibility is something that all people can relate to and the terms such as "Brother" seem awkward and strange. But possibly, the narrator will feel more comfortable using the term.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's cool that you've put together the different names the narrator has been called. I hadn't thought about it much until now, to be honest. While reading this book I've quickly adopted this image in my head of what the narrator is physically and mentally. I'm not sure if it is because of all the details the author gives us or if it is because of the opinion, but I feel for someone so invisible, I kind of understand him. The only times when I get really frustrated with him is when he acts so naive. Sometimes the narrator just acts so naive to the existence of racism. It just leaves me thinking, "Really?" An example of that is when he's in the hospital and the doctors are talking about different procedures and considering his background. The narrator sits there and can't figure out if theyre talking about him. Sometimes he's just so blind to racist moments and it just irritates me.

    ReplyDelete