Thursday, April 9, 2009

What happens to a dream deferred?

Throughout the Invisible Man’s interview process, I kept hearing the words of Langston Hughes in my head. “Does it sag like a heavy load, or does it explode?” He goes through each emotion in the book – he is terrified as he goes to Dr. Bledsoe’s office that his dreams are ending – he is then hopeful as he moves to NYC only to be struck down again by the letters of “recommendation.” His final explosion to Brockway in the paint engineering room signals a turn for him. His rage at his lost dreams climaxes in the shouting fight of the boiler room.

Stylistically, I’ve been so impressed with Ellison’s use of imagery. I look forward to reading blocks of sentences without dialogue because I know it will hold a very vivid description of the Invisible Man’s surroundings. Each time he describes the scenery, he muses in an almost prose-like fashion and creates the emotions I’m not sure the Man knows how to express. For example, the setting of Mr. Emerson’s office, tranquil and ornate, is a stark contrast between the greasy, oily grime of the engineering room to where the Man must go. In the abrupt change in scenery, the reader feels not just what emotions the Man says he’s feeling, but also a deep sense of undeserved irony that helps communicate the futility of the black educated man in the workforce at this time period.

Referring back to the class discussion on Tuesday, I’m not sure it’s possible to classify the book as solely artistic or solely political. Whatever Ralph Ellison intended, I feel like anyone who reads this book and feels the emotion in it will be stirred to action of some sort.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your thoughts on Ellison's use of imagery. I find myself enamored with the way he can describe ordinary feelings/scenery/people/etc. with such fantastic metaphors. They are sometimes complex and unusual, yet still effective and refreshing. In another person's post they mentioned how fast it was reading through 100 pages, and it only felt like 10-15 minutes. I think the way Ellison captivates the reader with his descriptive narrative is part of the reason why it feels this way when we read.

    Your last sentence mentions Ellison's writing stirring action within the reader and I couldn't agree more. I remember driving home with my brothers after the final four game against Michigan St., and I read quite a bit during the drive. When I got home, I had this profound urge to write and I felt my thoughts taking the form of Ellison's writing style. I remember thinking about my dog Charlie, who is an awesome dog that I've had for a while. Normally, you wouldn't praise your relationship with your dog in a descriptive, poetic fashion, whether they were deserving of it or not, but I recall appreciating his loyalty and good nature in an Ellison-like way. It's hard reproducing those thoughts now but I just remember thinking about it in a completely different way. I guess you could say I was stirred to action.

    ReplyDelete